Everybody Wins



Thank you Emma, for this wonderful reflection on assignment and your time as a Summer Staff Coordinator!


Hi! My name is Emma.
I live in Northern California and have been involved with Young Life since I was given the opportunity to volunteer at a Capernaum Club when I was 15. I’m now on staff with Young Life College and had the privilege of serving as Summer Staff Coordinator at Woodleaf.

If I had to sum up all that I learned from my four weeks with the most wonderful Summer Staff crew, it would be this: When we intentionally include a diverse group of people in our community, everybody wins.

Back in February, I got a text asking if my session had any summer staffers that could be a coach for another summer staffer, named Ryan, who has Autism. I nearly jumped out of my seat with excitement knowing that the Lord was giving our team the gift of wholeness. We prayed, found a coach for Ryan, and the rest is history.

I valued everything about having Ryan on our team. When I think about our Summer
Staff, I think of 1 Corinthians 12. I think of the significance of each part of the body of Christ.
“Every part dependent on every other part.” Our team needed Ryan. We depended on him for his attention to detail. We needed his loyalty, focus, and heart. We needed Ryan’s commitment to our community. Having Ryan on our team gave us all the opportunity to
embrace one another’s differences. I watched Elijah pull up a chair for Ryan so they could sit and watch the sunset together. I watched Abby sit and listen to her Latina friends from California talk about how they’ve felt marginalized. I watched Kaeli share her painful journey of persistent illness with her friends who are in good health. I watched a group of 48 strangers (all different in age, ethnicity, ability, socioeconomic status, etc.) become a family.

When we intentionally include a diverse group of people in our community, everybody wins. We all won by having Ryan on our team. We left Woodleaf as better and more whole versions of ourselves because we got to spend a month with people who weren’t like us. 

The sum of 48 people who are very different from one another coming together to serve Jesus and kids created the most beautiful and clear picture of the Kingdom of Heaven. I believe with every ounce of my being that every Work Crew, Summer Staff, and Assignment Team would greatly benefit from being made up of people who look like the kids YL reaches.

“The way God designed our bodies is a model for understanding our lives together as a church: every part dependent on every other part, the parts we mention and the parts we don’t, the parts we see and the parts we don’t. If one part hurts, every other part is involved in the hurt, and in the healing. If one part flourishes, every other part enters into the exuberance.” 1 Corinthians 12:26-27




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas/Winter Club Game Ideas

Great Visual for Club Talk on Sin

Valentine's Day Club