Capernaum in Bulgaria... YES Bulgaria!!!!

A guest post by Kathy Usrey...

As a mother of an Autistic Son, I have been blessed beyond belief in a journey that only the hand of God could write. You see, I’ve served in France on the mission field with him, homeschooling him while being a Young Life staff member and the wife of the Area Director. David was always included in our Young Life clubs, but we never considered ourselves “Capernaum”. Oddly enough, it was always a dream of ours as a couple to start Capernaum while living in France, but those doors never opened.

I’d like to tell you some amazing story how everything went as  planned, but I know it went as God planned. In 2009 my husband was diagnosed with a Brain tumor and we watched as he lost his ability to speak and then to walk, all the while knowing that our loving God was completely in control. After his death in 2012, I knew God was doing a new thing in me and that He had a vision for my life beyond just the suffering and loss. That is when I visited a Capernaum Camp in the US and felt the calling on my life to focus on loving kids like my son with Autism and my husband who became wheelchair bound and non verbal. You see, there is something profoundly Holy in places of deep suffering.


Capernaum staff has taken me back to the Eastern European roots where my son was born and where we adopted him. Our first Capernaum in Europe is now based in one of the lowliest places you can imagine, an Orphanage to teenagers in Pernik, Bulgaria, but the love and commitment to sharing the Gospel with these smiling faces continues to inspire me to see them as Christ does and in His image. They are perfect in His sight and loved beyond measure. And me? I am a blessed woman to call them my friends.

And we are blessed to call you our friend and partner in ministry.  Thank you Kathy for going where not many others are going for the sake of the gospel. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas/Winter Club Game Ideas

Great Visual for Club Talk on Sin

Valentine's Day Club