A New Year... don't miss You

A guest post from Pam Harmon


As we start a new year many of us ask again: 

How will I choose to invest my time this year? my money? I want to be a good steward.  What will be the return on the time and money I invest?
With which friends will I intentionally grow closer this year? Who can I pour into without expecting anything in return, and with whom can I build genuine, mutual community?

All of these are important questions to bring before the Lord. 

In my quest to do all things right, sometimes the Lord has to remind me of Who He is and of what is most important to Him. As I have spoken to God about this year, the Scriptures and readings that God brought to mind are:

1. Luke 12:22-31 “Jesus said to His disciples, ‘For this reason I say to you, do not be anxious for your life, as to what you shall eat; nor for your body, as to what you shall put on. For life is more than food, and the body than clothing. Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap; and they have no storeroom nor barn; and yet God feeds them; how much more valuable you are than the birds! And which of you by being anxious can add a single cubit to his life’s span? If then you cannot do even a very little thing, why are you anxious about other matters? Consider the lilies, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin; but I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory did not clothe himself like one of these. But if God so arrays the grass in the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you, O men of little faith! And do not seek what you shall eat, and what you shall drink, and do not keep worrying. For all these things the nations of the world eagerly seek; but your Father knows that you need these things. Seek first His kingdom, and these things shall be added to you.’”

and 2. Matt. 22:37  “Jesus said to him, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’”

At the beginning of this new year, I pray that in the midst of our seeking how best to use our time, our energy, our resources, our talents and abilities, please Jesus, let us (let me) not miss what is most important - You.

Henri Nouwen wrote, “What I must do first of all is to be faithful. If I believe that the first commandment is to love God with my whole heart, mind, and soul, then I should at least be able to spend one hour a day with nobody else but God. The question as to whether it is helpful, useful, practical, or fruitful is completely irrelevant, since the only reason to love is love itself.”
Mother Teresa said, “Pray for me that I not loosen my grip on the hands of Jesus even under the guise of ministering to the poor.”


Young Life Capernaum, as we begin a new year, let us do so firmly grabbing onto the hand of Jesus, looking deep into His eyes, and listening for His voice before we do anything else.



Pam is serving at the Vice President of Capernaum Ministries.  She lives in Nashville, TN with her husband Mark.  Pam and Mark have two sons, both married to amazing women, and they have one grandson- Christian.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas/Winter Club Game Ideas

Great Visual for Club Talk on Sin

Valentine's Day Club