Following Denny Rydberg

A guest post by Brad Mowry

As a parent of a child with a disability,  I have become keenly aware of how people react when the see my daughter. Hannah is now fifteen years old and has cerebral palsy. She is nonverbal, non-ambulatory, and only sometimes responds visually with a smile, or with laughter or a moan. (She is also beautiful, but maybe I say that just because I am her dad.)

When most people meet Hannah, or come into contact with our family, they arent sure what to say or how to act. So, most people ignore Hannah. Yes, that hurts, but we have become used to it. I am able to put myself in their shoes and I know that no one means any harm, but it makes me feel lonely for Hannah. She has six brothers who garner much of the attention in our family, and I wonder if she ever wants to scream, Hey! Talk to me! I am right here!

Flash back to the summer of 2005. I was on assignment at Rockbridge doing program. On Day 4, Denny Rydberg came for a visit. On the morning of Day 5 Denny pitched in to help us deliver the breakfast-in-bed boxes. I was delighted that he chose to jump in the truck with me to deliver boxes to the dorms on the opposite side of the camp.

On our delivery run he asked how I liked being on assignment at Rockbridge. I honestly love being on assignment at Rockbridge for many reasons, but this year it was especially great because the camp had paved many of the gravel sidewalks. This made wheeling Hannahs chair around camp so much easier for my wife and I. Denny asked for more details about Hannah and I was pleased to share.

We returned to the staff housing for our morning Admin meeting. My wife needed time to get our boys ready for the day so I wheeled Hannah in the Great Room and parked her in front of the TV so that I could attend the meeting in the adjoining room.

I went to the fridge to grab a quick snack before the meeting and when I closed the door and peeked in on Hannah I was blown away. There was Denny Rydberg, the president of Young Life, on one knee in front of Hannah. He was holding her hand and talking to her like she was a typical 8 year old. The greatest in the room had humbled himself and was showing love to the least in the room. I retreated to another room to wipe my tears and compose myself.

When the meeting was about to begin, Denny asked, Wheres Hannah? When I explained she was going to watch some TV so we could meet. He dismissed that thought saying, No, no, bring her in here. When I returned with Hannah, Denny was moving chairs and making space for Hannahs chair right next to his seat.

At the close of the meeting Denny asked if he could pray for us. Hannah was great during the meeting, but when it gets quiet, Hannah gets loud! As Denny prayed Hannah threw her arms in the air and started vocalizing and moaning. Without missing a beat or being put off, Denny reached over and held Hannahs hand, including her in the prayer.

When I think about what Denny showed me on that day, I was so proud to be on Young Life staff and following this man. As a parent, I was so touched by something we dont often see - someone noticing, including, and loving my daughter.

I believe this is what many of our parents feel when Capernaum leaders show up in the lives of their kids. Maybe they articulate that, or maybe they can't get those words out because doing so would lead them to break down and they are tired of that.


Whatever parents have shared with you or not shared with you, this parent is thanking you for what you do, and thank you, Denny Rydberg, for loving my kid.




Brad Mowry has been on Young Life staff since 1999. He has served as an Area Director in Pennsylvania and Maryland. Brad is also the Capernaum Coordinator for Young Life in the Eastern and Greater New York Divisions. He and his wife, Melissa, live in Grove City, PA with their 7 children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas/Winter Club Game Ideas

Great Visual for Club Talk on Sin

Valentine's Day Club